Change your mind and change your life!
For me the most difficult part of breaking the pattern of feeling down is the mind.
1. It tells stories all the time
2. It has imaginary conversations with people over and over again
3. It has to know WHY - which drives us crazy
4. And if the answer to the WHY isn’t nice, it will punish “us” relentlessly or “them” relentlessly
5. Or worse still, the mind could choose to make up a WHY story – which may or may not be true!
Have you ever been on that merry-go-round? I have, and it is not easy to get off.
Also our mindset can create lots of problems for us, often based on things that are not true. Take a look at this TED talk.
A teacher of mine once said “an unkept mind will default to the negative”. And I believe it is definitely like a muscle which needs to be trained. We need to weed out the unhelpful chatter and put in something positive. The mind is one thing that we CAN control in our lives – but it does take patience and practice.
Part of the process of feeling great in life, is getting to know our mindset and directing our mind into a healthy positive place. There are so many attitudes and ideas about life we can have, it is up to us to choose them.
For example: A man gets on a train and sits by a father and his two small children. The children are misbehaving but the father is ignoring it. The man gets irritated by it and eventually asks the father to “control his children”. The father says, “my wife just died in the hospital and we are going home”. The man then changes his attitude and asks how he can help the father.
When we feel low we can get into a strong mindset pattern which holds us in this position. What we don’t know is that there are many other mindsets we could hold but often we just cannot see them. The mindset we are currently in gets very tight.
I remember going through a low period and then being invited to a music festival. The music was wonderful and it made me feel happy. I opened up and talked to lots of people who I had never met. The event changed my mindset and I shifted into a completely different space.
So what feeds a negative mindset:
• Computer games – they make us feel empty and to keep searching for the next “fix”
• The same type of music
• The same type of movies
• Alcohol and drugs
• Repetitive habits that have a “shutting down” affect
• Meeting with friends and complaining about the same things
• Focusing on the past
What changes our mindset:
• Knowing what our mindset is and learning about how to change it
• Listening to uplifting music
• Seeing positive films
• Changing habits
• Hanging out with different people
• Developing new hobbies that take you out of yourself
• Focusing on what you could make happen now
• Spring cleaning or upgrading your living space
• Exercise puts feel good hormones into your body
• Relaxation helps reduce tension in your body and calms the mind
• Being open to new ideas and ways of thinking
If you want help changing your mind, book a session with Elayne.
Leave a Reply.
Elayne Lane is an instructor of the Universal Healing Tao. She has been teaching and doing bodywork in excess of 20 years.